Energy Online review
Electricity and gas retailer Energy Online provides services for both residential and business customers, describing itself as “the brilliantly simple choice”.
A retail brand of Genesis Energy, having been acquired by Genesis in 2002, Energy Online offers electricity and gas plans across New Zealand, along with LPG bottled gas plans, placing an emphasis on providing customers with simple solutions. Energy Online states that it offers “great rates and no fixed-term contracts”.
“Power’s not really something most people think about that much,” Energy Online states. “And nor should you have to. That’s our job. And we’ve been busy at it, coming up with ways to deliver brilliantly simple energy solutions.
“We’ve got great electricity prices and natural gas prices, and we don’t tie you in to those pesky contracts.”
What’s on offer from Energy Online?
Energy Online states that it makes its “electricity plans and prices brilliantly simple to understand”, adding that “no matter where you live in New Zealand, there’s a plan to suit your needs”.
Consumers can check Energy Online’s residential pricing plans by region via its website, selecting their region on an interactive map, following which they will be presented with a breakdown of plan costs.
Energy Online offers two electricity price plans:
- Standard user: which it states is generally the most suitable plan for customers using more than 8,000 kWh of electricity each year (more than 9,000 kWh for lower South Island customers)
- Low user: which it states is a low fixed-charge plan, generally the most suitable plan for customers who use 8,000 kWh or less of electricity each year (9,000 kWh or less for lower South Island customers)
For consumers looking to join, Energy Online states that it provides:
- Up to $100 off the first energy bill ($50 off electricity and $50 off gas)
- A 20 per cent prompt payment discount for electricity and natural gas customers for paying on time and in full
- No contracts
- No break fees
- Award-winning service
“So whether you want to compare NZ power companies, need simple smart energy solutions or expect your energy to come without contracts and break fees, Energy Online is the brilliantly simple choice,” the company says.
Energy Online provides a range of information via its website’s FAQs page, and consumers can also search for topics via its website search engine. Consumers can contact Energy Online via phone and email, and also have the option of sending an email via the Energy website.
When it comes to signing up, Energy Online states “we believe you should be able to switch in no time”, with consumers able to complete the process via its website.
Energy Online’s My Account service provides customers with functions including checking their account balance, viewing their energy bills and paying their bills, with customers able to register and login via its website.
Customers registered for My Account can also login to Energy Online’s mobile app, available for Android and iOS, via which they can (with a smart meter required for certain features):
- Get an estimate on what their next electricity bill will be
- View graphs of current and past electricity usage
- Pay an energy bill using a credit or debit card
- Sign up for LPG bottled gas and order replacement bottles
- Refer mates to join Energy, and when they join earn bill credits
Energy’s invoice payment options comprise:
- Direct debit
- Reliabill – via which customers can pay their bill in weekly, fortnightly or monthly instalments via fixed payments from their bank account
- Credit card
- Automatic payment – via which customers decide the amount they want to pay each week, fortnight or month
- Internet banking
- In person at NZ Post shops
- Cheque via mail