Posted by Canstar Blue November 27th 2013
Last Updated: 24 August 2017
with our general rights and obligations and our policy in relation to the personal information we keep on record.
What information do we collect?
Because we strive to provide our website users with personalised services showing the information most relevant to them, from time to time we request and store some private information about you. We will only use that information in accordance with this policy.
The types of information we keep on record will depend on the type of product or service requested by you. Generally, we keep a record of the following types of information about you:
- information that identifies you, such as your name and address and other information provided by you;
- if you use a forum, feedback/rating tool, calculator, online survey or other tool (“Website Tool”) on our website, the information that you enter into the Website Tool;
- your IP address for your interaction with various parts of our website. Your IP address is the identifier for your computer when you are using the internet;
- other information voluntarily provided by you;
- any other information we need to enable us to deliver services to you;
- personal information that you give to us when you visit the Canstar Blue office, such as photographs we take of you with your permission, and physical or digital signatures.
We do not seek to collect sensitive information (for example health information or information about your racial or ethnic origin, or any criminal record), unless it is necessary for our business purposes. If we do have to collect sensitive information, we will do so in accordance with the twelve information privacy principles set out in the Privacy Act 1993.
During our dealings with you, we may gather information about you relating to the products and services that we or our business partners provide to you. This information is used to help us decide how we can improve our service delivery to you.
We collect and hold information about you when you:
- complete an online form or use a Website Tool;
- provide us with your email address and/or telephone number;
- access and use our services through our website; or
- Sign in as a visitor to the Canstar Blue office.
We also collect some statistical information about visitors to our website (for example, the number of visitors, pages viewed, types of transactions conducted, time online and documents downloaded). Some of this statistical information is collected by using cookies, but none of the statistical information we collect allows us to identify a visitor. We use this information to evaluate our website performance and continually improve our services. We may disclose this information in an aggregated form to third parties including advertisers or potential advertisers. Other than statistical information, we do not collect any information about you through our website unless you voluntarily provide the information to us.
As you browse Canstar Blue’s website, advertising cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partners from time to time enable us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with Canstar Blue. The techniques our partners employ do not collect personal information such as your name, email address, postal address, or telephone number. You can visit this page to opt out of targeted advertising if the advertiser is a member of NAI.
You need not give us any of the personal information about you or any other person which may be requested in our communications with you. However, without that information, we may not be able to fulfill your request or provide you with an appropriate level of service and you may be unable to enjoy the full functionality of the Canstar Blue website, such as becoming a member of the Canstar Blue forum and feedback services or obtaining detailed product and service information.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information to:
- respond to your requests and directions;
- provide products and services to you;
- deal with complaints or issues you may have in relation to our services;
- review your dealings with us, including the products and services you use, your potential needs, and new products that might be of interest to you or other customers;
- ensure our internal business operations are running smoothly which may include fulfilling legal requirements and conducting confidential systems maintenance and testing;
- help preserve the personal safety and security of our premises, customers, website users, staff and the public.
How do we store personal information?
We provide a robust level of security when you use our online products and services. We have physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information which is held by us.
Access to information stored electronically is restricted to staff whose job purpose requires access. We use secure methods to destroy or de-identify any personal information as soon as the law permits, provided the information is no longer needed by us for any purpose.
Can we disclose personal information?
Usually we must get your consent before we tell anyone your personal information. You can give us your consent expressly or it may be implied by your conduct. By using our services, you are deemed to have consented to our use, disclosure and other matters in relation to your personal information, as set out in this policy. We may disclose your personal information :
- to our external service providers (which may be located overseas) for the purposes of our business, for example IT service providers. Information is only disclosed on a confidential basis.
- to any organisation which you request us to, including a product or service manufacturer or vendor,
- to product and services providers for operational purposes, and also because from time to time they may choose to provide you with information about their products and services by ordinary post or email. You may opt-out of receipt of such marketing at any time by contacting directly those organisations which have obtained your information. If you do not have their details, you can request them from Canstar Blue (details below).
- to our related companies and other organisations where reasonable to do so in relation to the operation of our business,
- by giving, selling, licensing or renting it for use by third parties, within New Zealand or outside New Zealand;
- to protect and defend our rights or property,
- if we consider it necessary to do so in order to enforce or apply the terms of any of our agreements with you,
- to contractors providing licensed collections services, credit card payment processing and CRM services, who comply with our privacy and security policies,
- to review and collate statistical data in respect of the various products and services that you have viewed and commented onif we sell our business or part of it,
- in extreme circumstances, to protect the personal safety of our customers, website users, staff or the public,
- to law enforcement, regulatory and government bodies, government agencies and courts, if we are required to by law to do so.
We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.How do we store personal information? We provide a robust level of security when you use our online products and services. We have physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your information which is held by us. Access to information stored electronically is restricted to staff and contractors whose job purpose requires access. We use secure methods to destroy or de-identify any personal information as required by law, provided the information is no longer needed by us for any purpose.
Amendment of this policy
If you do not wish to receive information about our products and services then please tell us. You can do this at any time by writing to us or telephoning us at the contact details listed below or on
our Contact Us page.
Access to your information
You can request access at any time to personal information we hold about you. We will process your request within a reasonable time, usually 14 days for a straightforward request. More time may be needed, depending on the nature of the request. There is no fee for requesting access to your information; however we may charge you the reasonable cost of processing your request. Sometimes we are not required to provide you with access -for example, if the law says we can deny access. If we refuse you access to your personal information, we will tell you the reason why.
Canstar Blue will never send you emails requesting bank account details.
Please be aware that if you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Canstar Blue offering to sell you a product or service, these calls are fraudulent. These scams are also known as ‘cold calling’, with scammers sometimes pretending to be a sales team member.
Scammers also send ‘phishing’ emails asking consumers to ‘verify’ and ‘record’ personal financial details by clicking on a link. These links often lead to fake websites. Do not reply to these types of emails and do not click on any links.
Please do not provide any information in response to unsolicited phone calls or phishing emails. If you’ve received a telephone call or an email of this type, please contact email@example.com immediately.
If in doubt, do not provide any details.
Correction of information
We try to ensure that all information we hold about you which we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date. You must promptly notify us if there are any changes to your personal information. You may ask us at any time to correct personal information held by us about you, which you believe is incorrect or out of date. We will deal with your request within a reasonable time.
In this policy, reference to “we/us” means CANSTAR Blue New Zealand Limited 3395011 (“Canstar Blue”).